Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Ventitre cannoli, per favore.

Marina: *looking at the clock* Oh. Class ends in five minutes...! But I was thinking--
Everyone else: ...........
Marina: --- that maybe we could all go get cannoli after this...as a group...?

Who says no to that?



That's what I thought.


Sunny skies continue (although I hear it's supposed to rain this week -- which is a perfect reason to go back to the Pantheon. Win-win situation). There's music everywhere you go. The pin-up for the Derive project was as successful as a critique can get in terms of being an involved discussion. These kinds of dialogues remind me of my passion for discovery through architecture and the experience -- continuous, specific, unrepeatable events.
Who was that philosopher who wrote about how nobody else will be able to know what you know, in the way that we each have our own senses? For example, I might tell you to look at what I'm looking at and make you stand where I stand, but our perceptions will never quite agree. Or that nobody will smell exactly what I smell; nobody will be able to touch the exact spot that I am touching at the same time as me. Who was that...? ...Hume? Kant? Nietzsche? Descartes? None of the above?
I really enjoy philosophy. But I'm bad at remembering who said what, which is kind of important.


But anyway. Yeah. That.
I know --
I'm so young. I've got a long way to go before I understand anything.
But trust me. While I don't know what I want to do with the rest of my life, I do know what inspires and motivates me. And if there's anything we should all do, it's to run with that feeling. Don't chase it. Don't lead it.
Do what makes you happy.



I ended the day with a night at an opera theater (I went with Steph and Chrissy and other CUA study abroad students). It was the first time I've ever seen The Barber of Seville. So funny.... And I must say, it feels good to listen to Italian music and be able to pick up words and phrases.

I think it goes without being said that I don't want this semester to end.




..... . . .. ...That was a d*** good cannolo.

1 comment: