Friday, February 18, 2011

Giolitti and...

Last night was one of my favorite nights in Rome so far. A simple trek over to Giolitti ended up being a 2.5 hour-long derive. Or maybe it was longer. All I know is that I went piazza hopping with Marisa, Rebecca, and Steph until a little past midnight, and then sat in the courtyard talking with Andrew for a while.

In chronological order, here's where we went, piazza-wise. Have fun mapping out our path:

1. Piazza Benedetto Cairoli (the site of Rebecca's group Project 1 -- we walk by it every day)
2. Piazza della Minerva (on the way to Giolitti)
3. Piazza di Monte Citorio (right around the corner from Giolitti)
4. Piazza della Rotonda (to see the Pantheon illuminated by a full moon while enjoying gelati)
5. Piazza di Pietra (along the pathway from the Pantheon to Trevi Fountain; the site of my group's Project 1)
6. Piazza di Trevi (per vedere la fontana)
7. Piazza Colonna (in passing, along Via del Corso)
8. Piazza di Spagna (Spanish Steps, where we were able to go inside the church, Santissima Trinita dei Monti, and also saw a TV show being filmed outside)
9. Piazza di San Lorenzo in Lucina (on the way back from the Spanish Steps; Marisa's site for group Project 1)
10. Piazza del Parlamento (my site for Project 2, which is underway!)
11. Piazza della Rotonda again (completely deserted by this time)
12. Piazza della Minerva again
13. Piazza Benedetto Cairoli again
14. Piazza di Ponte Garibaldi (totally made up that name.... but it's the one on the Trastevere side of Ponte Garibaldi -- Marisa's site for Project 2)





It's become quite a tradition to sit on the steps of the obelisk in front of the Pantheon while finishing up un piccolo gelato con panna che costa 2.50 Euro (I say piccolo, but it's really not that small). When we were finished, rather than go home right away, we collectively decided, Hey, we haven't been to Trevi Fountain yet... It's nighttime and less crowded now, so why not?



Well, it wasn't quite empty at the fountain, but it was worth it. Could've been more crowded. While some of us have seen it before, that was the first time I'd ever laid eyes on the fountain in person, or even seen anything around it. After staring at it for a few minutes, I turned to Steph and asked over the din of flowing water, "Should I throw in a coin?"

Steph: Only if you want to come back to Rome.
Me: "Do I want to come back to Rome?"
Steph: I don't know, do you?
Me: *digging in my pockets* Is that a real question?

Of course I want to come back. I followed tradition and tossed a coin over my shoulder.


Here's to wishing... no, hoping... no, intending to return one day.....


After we left Trevi Fountain, we were still really in the mood to see other things. I felt like nothing was too far away for us. The Spanish Steps were also on our list of things to see at night without the mass of tourists and men trying to sell roses, so we made our way over in that direction. We were still greeted by the sight of others, but more locals than tourists, if there were any at all. The night only got better when we saw a film crew hard at work, taking advantage of clear skies and the empty piazza.



The highlight for me began when I saw the open doors of Santissima Trinita dei Mori, at the summit of the stairs. When I told the others, we practically ran up the steps for fear that the doors would close before we got there.

When we walked inside, we saw that they were open for adoration, and so we spent a few minutes in reverence and prayer.
It was the quietest moment of our adventure, but it was the loudest. Especially when I exited the church to see that obelisk silently calling out to all of Rome.






I realized last night: I'll be back here one day.


No comments:

Post a Comment