Wednesday, February 9, 2011

None Shall Sleep

Perhaps it's because I missed Rome after travelling from city to city for a week, but this picture shows what inspired me the most since I began studying abroad this semester.
It's the culture. It's the history of then and now, noting all different time periods converging, and seeing how harmonious the world can be.
History is an on-going thing. I think that's what I love the most about Rome: while there are countless areas that are closed off to the public or only allow limited access, you can still walk through the same roads and touch the walls of ancient structures that have been incorporated in the buildings of today. It's not that they're overlooked, unappreciated, or underestimated; these were commissioned by emperors, after all. It's just that it's part of the culture to build on/with pre-existing structures. It's part of the people's identity. This goes past your typical architecture. This is like your philosophical, psychological architecture. It's inglobare.
But even that, the idea of inglobare, doesn't quite communicate what I realized in a split second. The sign on the statue is what brought it all together for me.




I spotted this sign hanging on the statue of Giordano Bruno on Monday morning, during my History class (in which we learned about the history of Campus Martius, the area where I'm studying). "Nessun dorma," or "None shall sleep." I recognized the phrase and remembered that I used to listen to this song at home all the time. It's pretty well-known because of Pavarotti's famous performance of it for the FIFA World Cup here in Italy in 1990.

Someone later pointed out to me another sign on a different statue that stated the words, "Game Over" in the same font, so I can't be sure how intentional this reference was to the song. Maybe the artist just meant to say that no one sleeps (Campo would be an appropriate setting). But just seeing those two quiet words on such a prominent, permanent sculpture amidst the familiar throng of vendors and customers alike made the echoing music in my head ring a clear message: It's the people that make a city so great; they actively and proudly own it. And my job -- what I am here to learn to do correctly -- is to create for them to use. I've heard it said so many times that the architect/-ure belongs to the people; I think I get it now. I hope I never struggle to maintain this mindset.


I've never seen Turandot (the opera where it comes from, written by Giacomo Puccini -- although, he passed away before he finished)... but I've seen snippets thanks to Youtube, and I'm convinced that I would cry if I ever saw a live performance.

This has been stuck in my head since Monday.


Nessun dorma! Nessun dorma!
Tu pure, o, Principessa,
nella tua fredda stanza,
guardi le stelle
che tremano d'amore
e di speranza.
Ma il mio mistero è chiuso in me,
il nome mio nessun saprà!
No, no, sulla tua bocca lo dirò
quando la luce splenderà!
Ed il mio bacio scioglierà il silenzio
che ti fa mia!
(Il nome suo nessun saprà!...
e noi dovrem, ahime, morir!)
Dilegua, o notte!
Tramontate, stelle!
Tramontate, stelle!
All'alba vincerò!
vincerò, vincerò!

Nobody shall sleep!
Nobody shall sleep!
Even you, o Princess,
in your cold room,
watch the stars,
that tremble with love and with hope.
But my secret is hidden within me,
my name no one shall know...
No!...No!...
On your mouth I will tell it when the light shines.
And my kiss will dissolve the silence that makes you mine!...
(No one will know his name and we must, alas, die.)
Vanish, o night!
Set, stars! Set, stars!
At dawn, I will win! I will win! I will win!

No comments:

Post a Comment