Thursday, January 20, 2011

A Pillar of Rain

It's 7pm here and the bells of a nearby church are ringing. I'm sitting at my studio desk quietly winding down and getting my thoughts together.

To be honest, I haven't been in the greatest mood for the past couple of days. I went about my daily routine with what I think is a blank expression, but always on edge....
Before studio began at 2:30, I was trying to get my drawings together and begin some other diagrams for my project. Unfortunately, I haven't yet visited the art store to purchase any drafting dots; I've been using the tape that was left in studio from previous students. And now we're all out.

Me: Where are the drafting dots. Does nobody have drafting dots..?
Steph: No, I don't think so.
Me: *sigh*... Fine.....

So after spending about 5 minutes trying to get someone else to point out the art store on the map, I quickly ran out the door, flew down the steps, and was on my way in the direction of the Pantheon under a gray sky.
After 15 minutes of walking, I was greeted with a closed door and a dark room. I forgot that the hours here are different. They closed for lunch and wouldn't be back until 2 at the earliest. I considered waiting for it to open again, but I gave up after a while. Instead, I decided I would wander over to the Pantheon. It's like a magnet and I am the paperclip. And I was having a bad day. "You can fix that," I thought.

When I walked inside, I remembered what many teachers and friends have told me before:
Go when it rains.

The center of the floor was roped off because the floor was wet. It rained earlier in the morning, and it was getting darker again.
I walked outside and saw that people were beginning to open up their umbrellas.
So I went back in, took a look around at the somewhat empty Roman-temple-turned-into-a-Catholic-church. Then I turned my head upwards, and it started raining.


Time slows down when you look up.


I left, went back, left again, went back and called Steph to let her know where I was, left again, went back again, and then left for real. I just couldn't go.
I ran in the rain with a stupid grin on my face.

No comments:

Post a Comment