Friday, March 18, 2011

Notti come questa moriranno presto.

Finalmente, leggendo il mio libro italiano, Io Sono Febbraio. L'ho comprato la settimana scorsa dalla Libreria Fahrenheit 451!

Finally, I'm reading my Italian book, I Am February (the English title is Light Boxes). I bought it last week from Bookstore Fahrenheit 451!




The debut of novelist/poet/author Shane Jones, this short book tells the story of a city whose inhabitants are oppressed by a god-like ruler who calls himself February. They are forever stuck in the corresponding wintry month, forbidden to practice any of their hobbies in flying kites, hot air balloons, or even watching birds in flight. Anything having to do with the freedom for which they yearn, really.
Throughout the unending month, adults fall into a deep depression and children begin to disappear (or worse). When Bianca goes missing, Thaddeus challenges the dictator and wages war on February to get his daughter back.

It's a pretty dark story; not a children's book, even though it may look like it to some (the format of pages is also designed, not all of them are full of words). I'm not entirely sure why it's called Light Boxes, but I'll find out as I continue to read, which is what a good title is supposed to do. I've heard of this novel before, but never looked for it. I came across it again when I wandered into Fahrenheit 451, a small bookstore next to studio.

The first day I went in, I saw the book across the room, picked it up, read what little I could understand, and put it down because I didn't have enough money with me to purchase it.
The next day I went in, I looked for it again with a purse full of Euro. No sign of Io Sono Febbraio on the table. I walked through the extensive hallway, stopping in each little bump of a room to check out the shelves. I could've asked the shopkeeper if they had another one in stock, but then other people started filtering in through the entrance, and my insecurity in speaking Italian pushed me out the door.
The third day I went in was during Spring Break, more than a month later. I almost forgot that I wanted to learn Italian by reading that particular novel. But the bookstore always catches my attention because it's named after one of my favorite books, and it's such a cozy shop with a humble entrance. Matt was with me this time. We spent a few minutes browsing, but I mainly went in to find my book, purchase it, and leave. I walked out with it in my hands. You're mine now, I thought.


No comments:

Post a Comment