Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Mixed Feelings

I'm sitting in the back room of studio, looking out at Campo de Fiori, listening to the constant hum of conversation and music. And I can see into someone's window. It's their dining room; the family is having dinner together. Dessert, I guess I should say. There are a lot of wine bottles in the middle of the table, and raucous laughter fills the air that doesn't reach me. One of the windows above gives me a view of someone in their living room, reading a book on a couch. So quiet, even though my line of vision is interrupted by sound waves from Campo.
Off in the background, I see tables set up outside of a restaurant in one of the streets, not even three doors away from these apartments. It's so strange to see this; I sometimes forget that there's such a thing as an intimate family setting in Rome. I've never experienced it.

I do miss the family setting, though. My own family, of course.

----
Project 3 has just about reached its midway point, with Part II of III being due on Thursday afternoon. First, we carefully reproduced a palazzo facade. Now, we're in the analytical stage: by just looking at the facade, we must sketch on our boards, on site, and also use other media. Ideally, we would visit our sites since most of these palazzi are existing. My particular building, Palazzo Borghese (not Villa), is still the family's home and is not open to the public. Usually. Once in a while, they may open their doors and allow visitors to enter the courtyard and select rooms. Unfortunately, today was not my day. So here I am, sitting in the back room of studio, looking at my rendered facade, using it as a basis.

And blogging...

Half of my board is filled at this point. I would like to be further than this, because I see this part of the project as a sketchbook page. But my sketchbook pages aren't even 1/4 the size of this sheet, so I find myself hesitating to draw bigger.

I need to learn sometime, though, right...?

---------
About one more month to go. I have mixed feelings about the end of this semester.

No comments:

Post a Comment