Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Past and Present Facades

I can almost count the remaining number of days on both of my hands. Tomorrow will mark the beginning of the solemn 10-day countdown.

--------------------------------


Tomorrow is final jury! I am currently taking a break from stippling for 8.5 hours -- a relatively short amount of time, in my opinion, compared to the 12+ hours that I put into a project in my first year.


Project 3 has been an interesting exercise specifically because I never thought to do this myself: take a facade and redesign it with a more modern-day mindset. Without necessarily studying the floor plan, context, etc., there is already much to think about. Geometry, proportions, scale, and patterns that were already implemented in the original facade start to emerge and dictate the modern scheme. The design was already there.

I wonder what that would look like, if all buildings had different versions of their facades. The same building in different periods.... That could probably work both ways for many projects: what would a modern apartment's facade look like if it was designed in the 16th century? How would the architect's ideas come to be realized back then?

No comments:

Post a Comment